Monday, March 14, 2011

I Really Just Want Feedback- Derek B.

Ok so I wrote this a while ago just to get some of my thoughts on paper, and I realized that it is slightly deep/controversial so I wanted to post it on here to get your guys' feedback. I guess if I had to justify posting this, it does share some of my philosophy on life which ties to what we were doing in class. I also incorporated my OLW into it: pain. PS before I get started, this was inspired by the movie "A Cinderella Story" with Hilary Duff. Yeah, don't judge =P.

So here goes:

It seems that everyone's life sucks. Everyone has their drama or their conflict or their impossible desires. It seems that everyone wants their storybook ending. And there is nothing stopping them but them. I one read that writing history is easy; you simply record the facts. But writing fiction is so difficult because you have to make it believable. Anything can happen in real life; only a few things can happen in fiction. I have held this to be one of the truest quotes ever. No matter what fantasies we come up with, they are based on real life and do not even come close to the emotion and feel of reality. If you think about it that way, real life is the greatest story ever written. All things are possible in reality. Where/how else can you find the ups and downs, friendships and betrayals and rejections that happen in reality? We watch so many movies that we sometimes wish or expect our lifes to go that way. We take a normal situatiom ad turn it into a move and wait for our happily-ever-after. But it never comes.

No not "never." Sometimes life sucks. That is a fact. Sometimes life really suck and you feel like there is no hope. But there will ALWAYS be a happy ending if we are willing to keeep fighting and put things in perspective. Some things are not changeable. Some things are. To find happiness we need to change the things we can for the right. Even if that is painful. And sometime shtuff (the pg version of another sh-t word)and it feels like there is no escape. But put it in perspective. Are you completely worthless now that you are in this situation? You may suffer, but this falls into the category of things you cannot change. But what you do about it can. Somebody may have a horrible disease or have died. That will not change. But what you do about it can. You can choose to wallow in self-pity, or you can make the world better. Not only their life, but your own and others'. Help them. Help yourself. Change something. If you are not happy, it is your own fault.

Hope is the most powerful of human emotions. More powerful than pain or the fear of pain. We are willing to fall in love, go to war, kill, for the hope of a better life. There are some things we cannot change. There will always be hate. There will always be pain. There will always be breakup of family, relationships, friends. There will always be that one thing or that one person that you always hope for, knowing that it will never happen; but you hope for it anyways. There are some things you cannot change. There are some things you can. Keep fighting to make the things you can better, and you will get your fairytale ending. Sometimes your fairytale ending is just being content with what you have. Not settling. Never settle. But be content if you can.
Notice that no one ever gets a fairytale ending who had an easy life. We have to work for it, to earn it. Everyone has a fairytale ending if only they would fight to get it.

Sorry this turned out so long. If you actually read the whole thing, put a  +P in your comment so I can give you a huge hug later. Thanks for any feedback you give.

17 comments:

  1. Hey Derek,
    This is some seriously deep stuff mostly because it applies to almost any situation you can think of. For example, I'm going through a break up with a person I've dated for more than 2 years. Though at first I fell into a dismal state, I took the time to find hope in other things, especially my future in college. I definitely agree that hope is alwasy neccesary to be happy and that we must provide the action to make ourselves content. Thanks for the vent it wsa great to read.

    - Jake S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek,
    I couldn't agree more with your rant. It especially ties in with what I was going through (kind of still am): being wait listed from the colleges I want to go to. I really felt like I've lost my hope and that I was worthless. I I also feel like hope is one of the most powerful human emotion. It makes or breaks your actions.

    Sometimes, I cannot help but to think that humans are just straight out selfish. We act on our desires. But it is our nature and what we desire and how we decide to achieve it, is almost entirely up to us. Although there are many things that become an obstacle, it is our decision if we choose to overcome/adapt to it.

    Your thoughtful post helped my clarify my thoughts in my current situation.

    Boa K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derek, it is so true but its so hard sometimes! I know I try to have hope and think of others before myself, and its been hard. But, by focusing on this everyday I've found myself happier than I've been in a long time. What I do think is different than what you said is that everyone gets a fairy tale ending. Honestly, I think that everyone has the ending that is what they need in their lives, whether they want it to be that way or not. It's not about having your 'perfect' ending its getting to the ending and realizing that what has happened to you is what was meant to happen, even if it isn't really happy. However, most people I would say are generally happy with their ending. It's not going to be perfect, we all have struggles after all, but in the end, it can be happy.
    By the way, +P of course I read all of it, and Cinderella Story is an awesome movie!
    -Emily S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah derek ! youre so correct :O
    life has its downfalls and i sometimes feel like i want it to end. but during this time, i hope that things will get better and i try to make myself believe that and at the end there always is. im glad that no only i go through this but everyone else too.
    -angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life definitely can suck at times and seem like a waste of time but no person can say that they have never felt joy in their lives. We all experience conflicts, some harder than others, but fighting through it to realize the blessings makes it all the more worth it. --Richard H

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much agree with everything you said in this post! great job putting your thoughts (and the thoughts of many) into words for all f us to read. Too often people dweel on the bad and the difficult things in their lives, rather than rejoicing in their many blessings or working to make the bad into some sort of good. Many also expect this so-called fairytale to simply happen without any work on their part, which is so backwards! Thanks for your insight, Derek! :)

    -Dayna M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so deep with much meaning to it. I agree life has its sucky moments but then something amazing happens and we forget about the bad times. Its as if the good and bad in life balance eachother out because no one has a perfect life, even if they may put up a good front. Those living a "fictional" life are the ones whom state their lives are perfect.
    -Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked your post! I think it really fits with us right now because many of us didn't get into the college we wanted and even though we're still going to a really great school, we can't help but complain and feel sad about it. But LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT! So, if you keep thinking, "Ugh this sucks," then it's going to suck. It's all about attitude :)
    -Hillary D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Derek, I have so much respect for you right now. Everything you said on this post I believe in 110%. I'm pretty sure you helped at least a couple of depressed teens who didn't get into their dream college get over their melancholy and pick themselves up. We still only teenagers, of course all the work we've been having to do will eventually overwhelm us one way or another and we will be reduced to a sulking mess. But what you said, that we have to work to get our happy ending, is basically what has been running through my mind these past months. Nothing good ever comes easily, if it does, you're an extremely lucky person. These trying times, where we all feel like the entire universe is against us, it is very important that we mustn't lose hope, no matter how cliche or cheesy it sounds. It is the only thing that keeps us going when we've lost everything (although I seriously doubt any of us are in that type of experience right now, haha). That happy ending will definitely come.

    +P

    -Lian C.

    ReplyDelete
  10. derek,

    this post most deep and had a lot of details about moving on with ones life and looking towards the future. you took a lot of time thinking about what you were going to write and it paid off. this post is very positive for someone who feels the world is crashing down around them. we all live through the good and the bad, but that is what makes us strong and to hope in things that are soon to come. i had to read it twice to understand the full meaning of your words. :)

    nikki l.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see where your thoughts and feelings are coming from, but people that say life sucks are somewhat weak and jumping to conclusions too quickly. Life is the only purpose, pleasure, and satisfaction us humans have. It is all we know. Everyone needs to learn from the pain and failures in life to make them stronger and life a more fulfilling life. Who would want to live a perfect, no problem, life anyway? That wouldn't be very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Derek,

    Life does suck. However, the degree to which it is disappointing and unpleasant, definitely depends on the individual. I think your post captures the essence of being a human. We must all struggle; however, every situation makes us stronger and more valuable. GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh thank you so much for the feedback. Reading your comments left me teary-eyed and breathless. I am so glad that we can all come togetheron this and realize that we are all human with thte same emotions and difficulties even if we do not show them at school. Deep inside at the very core of ourselves, we all are the same family of humanity.
    Comment on your comments:
    Jake S. Dude I'm sorry for your heartbreak. I've been there and it is one of the greatest pains humans can feel but hope.
    Boa K. Thank you it was so exhilarating to read your comment and know that my post meant something to someone.
    Emily S. Thank you for disagreeing. I think what i was going for is that if people hope and continue to push through and become content with the simplicity of life, whatever their ending may be, it will be a fairy tale. as long as they can look at it and be content
    Angela K. I hear you. I dont think that i realized that i wasnt the only one either until i read the rest of the comments.
    Mystery comment from High cielings. your right life is all we got so we better make sure we love every second.
    I want to give a shout out to my band teacher in middle school. At the end of out 8th grade year he sat us down and gave us wisdom for life. like a last lecture. He gave the advice that i have kept through my life. If you are not happy, it is your own fault. Thank you Mr. Bonner.
    Finally i want to hope this did not come off too rantish. I was just writing stream-of-consciously.
    But i want to leave with another movie quote that has also shaped my life.From the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)
    Tibby, maybe the truth is there's a little bit of loser in all of us, ya know? Being happy isn't having everything in your life be perfect. Maybe it's about stringing together all the little things like wearing these pants or getting to a new level of Dragon's Lair - making those count for more than the bad stuff. Maybe we just get through it... and that's all we can ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Derek, I am in your group, and I am sad you did not share this with us on Team Tuesday, I loved what you wrote and found it extremely relateable. Thank you for your expresive writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was Mariah that posted the comment above btw

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry guys i hope you feel that is wasnt hiding something from you. these were just somethoughts and i try to keep my home school personal, class, and friend lives separate just because... it is complicated
    Derek B

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you that hope is very powerful. Even in the most desolate situations, even when hope is the last thing on your mind it remains the most powerful emotion.

    -Susan Y.

    ReplyDelete