Wednesday, January 12, 2011

OLW Pain- Derek B.

My one little word to focus on in my life and in literature is pain. I do not mean this to be a negative or depressing idea rather a study on a primitive and strong human emotion that has a large impact on our lives. My focus is on the different types of pain and their effects on our lives. From emotional, spiritual, mental, and physical anguish, people have been subject to pain, often at the hand of another human, and have had to deal with it in different ways. People can accept the pain, avoid it, or try to advert or stop it. A major factor of the person's reaction is if the pain is sharp and short or dull and drawn out, or even growing over time to consume their life and their will. Although too often people succum to pain and break down, indulge in stimulants, or even take their lives, people can also triumph over pain to accomplish great things. Pain is interesting because although it is caused by outside sources, it is entirely in the subjects control of what to do. The strength of the will is just and important as the strength of the person when it comes to dealing with pain. In literature I hope to find how pain is introduced into the lives of people and how the cope with it. Then I can introduce those ideas into my life and the lives of the people around me.

9 comments:

  1. Derek,

    This is such an interesting choice. We spend so much time and energy avoiding pain, but often our painful moments are the ones that give us the greatest opportunity to grow. While I am not advocating we seek pain, perhaps we can work on our fear of it. I will definitely be thinking about these ideas -- thank you!

    Mrs. Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you look at pain from a positive perspective. By overcoming pain and other negative emotions, we grow as human beings. Also, realizing that there is pain out in the world helps us to appreciate the positive emotions and situations we have even more. Great post!
    -Erica W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an interesting choice for your one little word. i like how your described why you chose your word, and that you chose your word for the positive aspects of pain and not the negative aspects that everyone is familiar with. i also like the idea that you want to learn how pain is presented to people in literature and how you want to know how they cope with the pain the author has written for them. your post is full of details and ideas of how one can learn from the pain they feel, whether it be caused from an external force or from something within. - nikki l.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, you totally made me re-think about pain. We experience it everyday and we try to avoid it because we don't like it. And yes, we do many things (usually negative) to try to avoid it or cope with it, but many of us fail to see it as a positive thing... Fascinating post!
    Boa K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that your chose this word to be your focus word. Pain does involve positive and negative aspects and it does conflict with not only Jane Ere but Tess too. We exerience this everyday and subconciously it is a huge factor that affects all of us despite the pain being positive or negative

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found it intriguing that you chose such a unique word as your OLW. Rather than choosing a neutral or positive word like most other people, you chose a word that is commonly used in a negative connotation and focused on the positive aspects of it. This is a really insightful post that has made me re-evaluate my own opinions on the word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow thank you everyone for taking as intended. And thank you Kevin P. for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. Without the pain and suffering that we must endure, the things that we love the most would not be as enjoyable. In my opinion we would not feel like we "earned" it as much -Richard H

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate this. It made me rethink the way I see pain. If this was a Facebook status, I'd like it, then unlike it, just so I can like it again.

    ReplyDelete